Saturday, January 3, 2015

Nothing to Do ... But Knit!

I'm not supposed to exert myself for a month after cataract surgery. This - to me - is an invitation to knit!

Since my surgery, I finished a shawl I started a while back.

Then I began my third afghan in mitered squares. (Using variegated yarn left over from the other two.)

Each mitered square starts out with a row of 41 stitches. Two stitches are cast off in the middle every other row, thus creating a square. I've been using "garter stitch" - knitting every row.

When one square is done, I join another one to it, using the one stitch left on the needle. I pick up another 20 stitches along one side of the previous square and cast on another 20. (Or if I'm about to start a square between two existing squares, I pick up 20 stitches along the adjoining sides of both squares. This gives me 41 stitches again for the next square.

Eventually I hope to write the pattern out in more detail. In the meantime, any pattern for a mitered square is a good place to start.

In about a week, my month of "rest" will be up. I wonder if the afghan will be done by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment