Sunday, September 21, 2014

Reflecting on St. Benedict's Rule

I've read a lot of Benedictine books since discovering Benedict's Way several years ago.

One I've just started reading, called St. Benedict's Toolbox, is making me think:

"Benedict... stresses the importance of being in a community and not living either in isolation or as a wanderer," the author (Jane Tomaine) writes.

I'm not really a wanderer... but I do like to wander (if traveling can be called such...) And before planning my retirement, half a dozen years ago, I collected a file of information on teaching overseas, something I thought would be fun to do. There is still a lot of "wanderer" in my spirit!

"Benedict emphasized living together in one physical place and remaining solidly faithful to that place and to the people in that place," she continues.

We moved to Ottawa 35 years ago as a one-year experience: Terry planned to do a one-year program at St. Paul University. Then we were going to leave. But we found work here, bought a house, raised a family. Yet I never considered Ottawa our "permanent" home, and I still don't, even though we've lived here longer than we've lived anywhere else. Should I readjust my thinking and try to view Ottawa as my permanent home? Montreal (where we met and were married) is still my favorite Canadian city... And with children in Toronto, we sometimes think of moving there...

Permanence hasn't ever been part of my thinking... Should it be?!

No comments:

Post a Comment