Saturday, September 13, 2014

Ground Hog Neighbors

I'm always fascinated to discover that I'm living among wild animals, even in the city.


In a shopping area in my neighbourhood, I recently came across this family of ground hogs. We used to see groundhogs in a field near our house - until a large parking lot was built, ruining their tunnels.

I'm glad to see we haven't managed to totally eliminate them! They remind me of the persistent strength - and diversity of nature.



But I wonder how this family of three (or more) survives, surrounded by buildings and a busy road. What do they eat?!

They have managed to dig tunnels - a safety net against enemies. Will the property managers continue to allow them to co-exist here, ruining the lawn?




I hope so! I'd rather see them here, independent and strong, than in a zoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment