Saturday, September 27, 2014

How to Spend My Time?

It is, I know, a luxury to be able to choose how to spend my time... That is one of the joys of retirement!

After summer gardening season is over, as the weather turns cooler, I again turn my attention indoors and look around me for things to occupy my time for the next five months - until spring arrives. There is, of course, no lack of things I could do!

You don't have to do anything, Terry reminds me... But I like to keep busy. Doing things gives me joy. I try to maintain a Benedictine balance of doing about 6 hours of work a day and allowing myself the freedom to rest, read, and do whatever the rest of the time... I don't want to be bored... Boredom, to me, brings on melancholy... and I don't want to go there.



I have been knitting all summer. This colorful afghan is almost done - and I still have lots of yarn to keep me busy all winter during those quiet times when I want to sit and listen to a talking CD. (I'm not much for television.)









I am also trying to complete a few quilts I started a few winters ago...












Organizing my desk - and my study - is one of those thankless, endless tasks I do every few months... so I plan to do that. Perhaps I should do some serious clearing out, like getting rid of an old computer or two... Making drastic decisions like that is hard for me!








As I look at these piles of books I don't think I'll ever read again, I wonder about starting an online book store...

Looking at all my options, I realize that being my own boss - and deciding what work to assign myself - isn't an easy task!

No comments:

Post a Comment