Friday, September 12, 2014

Delicious Tomato Parmesan Soup

I discovered this new favorite a few months ago when we were passing through Saint John, New Brunswick. Looking for a place to eat, we discovered a little pub that is well-known for its burgers. In hilly Saint John, Churchill's Pub is on the lower level of Church Street Steak House. We chose the pub rather than the restaurant because the World Cup was happening - and Terry wanted to keep an eye on the televised game while he ate.

I chose the soup of the day, which was Tomato Parmesan - and it was amazing! As soon as I got home, I hunted for a recipe, hoping it would be as good as the one at Churchill's. I'm happy with it.

The online recipe I used was from Dashing Dish. I modified it a bit (as usual)! This is how I made it:

Tomato Parmesan Soup

1. Place the following ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to boil.

Simmer for about 45 minutes:
  • 1 large (796-ml / 28-ounce) tin of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped
  • several stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 or 3 carrots, chopped (optional)
  • 500 ml (2 cups) chicken broth or veggie broth
  • 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) each of basil, oregano, fine herbs

2. Let soup cool a little. Then puree it until it's thick and smooth.

3. At this point, I portion out one serving to eat, freezing the rest for later use.

4. When preparing to serve the soup, warm it up, adding about 75 ml (1/4 cup) of milk for every 250 ml (cup) of soup.







5. When soup is hot and ready to serve, add 75 ml (1/4 cup) of Parmesan cheese to each bowl.












Stir to melt the cheese.

Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment