Friday, September 26, 2014

Flattening a Water Color Painting

Last year in a botanical art class (where we drew and painted produce from the fall harvest), I painted this Savoy cabbage surrounded by a few Brussels sprouts.



I remember struggling with the many veins on the cabbage leaves. I never felt I had captured the exuberance of the fresh plant with its leaves spread wide!











But I persisted - until the shadows around the vegetables messed me up. I recall trying to lift off some of the grey color - and discovering the meaning of "staining" colors. (One of my watercolor instructors had told us to be aware of staining and non-staining pigments, but I hadn't really paid attention!)

Why? I had wondered.

Because staining ones can't be lifted off or lightened!

I remember asking my instructor what I could do. Would bleach work?

Sometimes you just have to let go and call it an experiment, was her reply.

So I placed the  painting on the piano - where I could see it - and have enjoyed it there ever since.



I recently wondered whether - failed experiment or not - I should frame it. After all, I enjoyed looking at it! But it was wavy. I hadn't wet the paper to stretch it before beginning to paint on it. (Another lesson learned!) Could it be done now?










My neighbor Mary, who does more watercolor painting than I do, had once straightened a painting after it was done by brushing water on the back... a light coat. (Not the recommended technique.)









She then covered it with paper and flattened it with books. Why not give it a try?!

In the end, it isn't perfect! (There is a tiny wrinkle at the bottom of the paper.) But it's better than before. Now, at least, I can actually frame it.

No comments:

Post a Comment