Friday, December 7, 2012

Visiting Kingman, Alberta

The second village of my childhood that I visited last September was Kingman, where my mother taught Home Economics (sewing and cooking) for the first time and I started grade 1.















The newly-built school that brought us to the community is no longer there. It was destroyed in a fire some years ago.















The part that remains is used as a museum and tea room - but it wasn't open when we were there.















I found the church where my mother taught for a few months before her classroom was finished. (Her cooking classes were held in the church kitchen.) I couldn't find the little shop where our first-grade class was held until the building was done. I don't think we moved into the school building until after Christmas vacation, if memory serves me correctly.















I couldn't find the little two-room teacherage we had lived in at that time. But I did see a few buildings that resembled it!















I'm glad I was able to go back to Kingman... a quiet little community - even smaller than Hay Lakes!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene, I'm glad you were able to come back to Kingman. I'm pretty sure I know where that teacherage house was (west end of town), and it lasted into the 90s. A historical note: the school was closed by the County of Camrose school board (despite much local protest) at the end of the 1989, and it didn't burn down until that fall, while being taken apart for salvage by a local contractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! It's interesting to know what happened since I lived there.

      Delete
    2. Hello Marlene! The teacherage was damaged by fire a little over a decade after Kingman School burned down (due to a power surge that knocked out appliances throughout town). It was located right beside the eastern boundary of the school, and has since been replaced by a new home.

      Delete