Sunday, December 16, 2012

Loving Self

One of my Jewish neighbors who was familiar with Christianity once commented that when Jesus said to love our neighbors as ourselves, he implied that we must also love ourselves. Her words gave me food for thought when I was in my 20s, but they never seemed right. Loving self seemed so... selfish!

All these years later, I confess I have an easier time judging myself than loving myself. Self-love seems almost... well, sinful! (And I'm not sure I'm very good at loving my neighbors either!)

Everything in me balks at the idea of loving myself! So I was taken aback when I read the following words by Joyce Meyer:

I am going to ask you to do something very important. Right now, stop and wrap your arms around yourself. Give yourself a great big hug and say aloud: "I accept myself. I love myself. I know I have weaknesses and imperfections, but I will not let them stop me, and I will not allow them to stop God from working through me." Try doing this several times per day, and you will soon develop a new attitude toward yourself, a new outlook on life, and a greater level of confidence in God. 
(The Everyday Life Bible, p. 58)



No comments:

Post a Comment