Monday, December 3, 2012

"Improving" a Portrait

When I was a teenager, I tried to paint portraits in oil.














I read a few "how-to" books... But I soon discovered that the best teacher of all is TRIAL AND ERROR! That is how I learned (after numerous disappointments) that when a face jumps out at you from the canvas,... STOP IMMEDIATELY! Even if it isn't perfect, it's best to leave it alone. A few more brush strokes can ruin the captured likeness.

But when I brought my watercolor portrait of Terry home from class, he immediately asked: Why did you give me a lazy eye?

After referring again and again to his "lazy eye", I decided to try to "fix" it.














So one evening when I was home alone, away from any distractions, I tried...














In the process I discovered that the two eyes weren't balanced either. But I did the best I could. I may have lost some of the painting's original vibrancy - but I hope the resemblance is still there

No comments:

Post a Comment