Thursday, November 29, 2012

Re-Purposed Poncho

One of my favorite knitting projects of all time was this poncho I knit in the early 1970s.


















Colorful clothing was popular at the time (as this knitting magazine cover shows!)...


















So when I saw the poncho pattern, I decided to give it a try.


















I was planning a long vacation - from Israel to Canada, then on to my brother's wedding in Texas, and back again. I anticipated spending hours in flight and waiting in airport terminals. The poncho would be a perfect travel project. It could be knit on one long, bendable needle that could roll up easily into a bag.

 
















I still have fond memories of working on this "travel companion" poncho. When it was done, I wore it until bright-colored ponchos were no longer in style. Later it re-appeared a few times in Halloween costumes or Christmas pageants.


















But mostly it remained folded up, unused.

Wouldn't it be great if I could somehow make it into an afghan, I would often think. But how?!

Recently the answer came... (If you wait long enough, answers do come!) By opening it up at the neck, removing the neck portion, and sewing the front and back together!















The first cut was the hardest! Then I used the yarn I unraveled around the neck opening to make a middle portion that joins the two.


















There! Our latest afghan!

(My only regret is not checking for worn spots before I started! I have found two - and am attempting to prevent the knitting from unraveling by ironing some fusible fabric to the back at the worn areas. If that doesn't work - I guess I'll have no option but to mend! After all this work, I want to enjoy the afghan for a couple of years at least!)

No comments:

Post a Comment