Sunday, November 11, 2012

More than Serendipity

In the morning when I first get up, I enjoy a peaceful cup of coffee and "nibble at" eight or nine books that are piled beside my favorite chair. I read a paragraph or two, or maybe even a page or two from each, allowing the words to sink into my mind and "feed" me with thoughts as I begin my day.


















What I often find fascinating is that - though these books were written by different writers - ideas I read in one book overlaps with something I read in another book on any given day. Recently, for example, the idea of trusting God rather than myself jumped out at me. In a book by Joan Chittister, a Benedictine nun, I read: "Prayer is the gift of being able to put my life into the hands of God - and trust the path that opens before me. Whether I think I have wanted it or not."

A few minutes later, in a book by Richard Foster, a Quaker charismatic, I read: "Two utterly unquestioned values in our culture today are desire and freedom -... 'I do what I want, when I want, to the extent that I want'... Yet self-seeking ultimately leaves us empty..."

Then today, the idea of celebrating life popped out of books by the same two authors. In Richard Foster's book I read: "The Discipline of celebration is a bracing antidote to religious solemnity..." (p. 168), while in Joan Chittister's book, I came across the following words: "Life is... a blessing to be celebrated." (p. 60) 

As I sit here, I am left wondering: Is this a happy co-incidence? Serendipity? Or is God telling me something I need to hear today?!

No comments:

Post a Comment