Friday, November 23, 2012

Painting... Upside Down!

One of my daughter's art instructors commented that the first portrait a person draws or paints resembles the artist more than the subject. In other words, a first portrait is always a self-portrait! I thought of this last week when our painting instructor asked to to paint a portrait - but to do it upside down, seeing it as shapes and colors - not a human face! (What a wonderful way to trick the brain!)














So I dutifully started, with both the canvas and the photo reference upside down...














 It was a liberating experience - no trying to make it look like anyone!














Only after the first coat of paint was down did I turn it upside down to focus on details. I was happy with the result as I could recognize the person in the painting. Now to tweak it a bit - though I fear "fixing" it too much... I might lose what I like!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! I am so impressed. This is a must-frame.

    ReplyDelete