Friday, November 30, 2012

November

November is one of those months that slips by without much fanfare in Canada since we celebrate our Thanksgiving in October. There are no more celebrations until Christmas. For me November is often a grey month - grey skies, grey spirits (as my garden has shut down for the winter). So I dig out my knitting and wonder how long winter will last... Then I begin to think about Christmas.


















I was looking through the monthly program at my mother's nursing home recently. (It helps me plan my visits to her: I don't want to interrupt her when she's busy.)

It's there that I read about several historic events that occurred in November. The game of Monopoly was introduced to the world on November 5, 1935. (That fact brings back memories of childhood Monopoly games that went on for days on end!) And on November 10, 1951, the first long distance call was made without dialing 0 to ask an operator to make the call...  (I remember that change... Didn't we used to call that "direct distance"?!) How many jobs were lost when we made that change?!!

Sometimes interesting things do happen in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment