Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Kind of Gardening

I'd love to have a tidy flower garden - like ones I see in magazines and public parks.














But mine ALWAYS is in need of tending.














(Yet it continues to give me joy!)














I recently read about a gardening style that resembles mine:

"Gardening in itself has about it something of this art of conversation... the "conversation" between myself and... the land in its natural state. I try to respect and enhance this without domineering... to allow a continual exchange between myself and the natural elements. I hope that from this something will emerge that reflects a partnership between us. And since it is changing all the time... it will continue as an ongoing conversation in which both of us are involved..." (To Pause at the Threshold, p. 89)














Maybe my expectations are all wrong. A garden is nature in process - not a finished project. Gardening involves the give and take of "conversation." (And I never seem to have the final word!)

No comments:

Post a Comment