Friday, February 19, 2010

A Nutty Cake

I don't make a lot of cakes these days, and when I do, I've developed the habit of freezing at least half. Cake doesn't disappear as quickly as it did when there were 3 kids (and their friends) around to eat it.

Also - since developing type 2 diabetes - I have begun to make my cakes "healthier." I substitute "healthy" flours (spelt and whole wheat) for at least half the white all-purpose flour recipes usually call for. Another "healthy" flour substitute is almond meal (another name for ground almonds). At times, I use roughly one-quarter almond meal, one-quarter whole wheat flour, one quarter spelt flour and (grudgingly) one-quarter white flour in place of all white flour. My cakes are now heavier, denser, but I still enjoy them...

So I was intrigued when I came across this cake which has very little flour in it. Instead, it is full of walnuts, not almonds. But walnuts are good for you, too.

I found the recipe on the blog, Smitten Kitchen. (An adaptation of a recipe on gourmet.com)

True to my habit, I substituted whole-wheat flour for the half cup of white all-purpose flour the recipe calls for...














The roasted walnuts are ground up in the food processor together with the sugar - then other ingredients are added! I haven't made a cake in the food processor in ages... It was so easy!

The cake tasted delicious... nutty and buttery... Flavors were enhanced on the second day.

I planned to cut it into squares and freeze it - then add the jam and topping later when I served it to guests ... but (confession time) it didn't last that long. (OK, it was a smallish cake!)

I didn't photograph the finished cake - I planned to decorate it first... But then it was all gone!

Sorry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment