Thursday, February 4, 2010

Daylight

There aren't enough hours in a day - daylight hours, at least. The dawn starts to break just before 7 am and by 6:30 pm it is pitch dark outside.














It gets dark sometime between making supper and tidying up the dishes... I know because last night after supper, I mentioned going out for a walk... but when I looked out the window, it was completely dark.

I have been trying to get outdoors to walk a little more. There is something relaxing about walking and talking. Thoughts flow. (And according to some magazine articles, pounds begin to come off!) A few good reasons for going for an evening walk!

I particularly enjoy leisurely after-supper walks. They are a way of winding down after a busy day. When my kids were younger and still living at home, if I ever asked them what was happening at school or with their friends, they would invariably say: Nothing... But if one of them went for a walk with me, we'd talk... And they'd share bits and pieces of their day - it would spill out naturally as we talked. Walking provided a way of staying in touch.

Now that our February weather has quieted down to calm, cold - and occasionally sunny - days, walking for an hour or so would be fun. If I put on a warm winter jacket and boots, there is nothing that should keep me from going for a walk... except the fear of slipping on ice(!) and ... the lack of daylight (which increases that risk!)

So for now, I guess I'll have to do my walking during the day, when Terry is at work. Maybe I'll even go to an interesting shopping area where the sidewalks are sure to be cleaned off... and where my biggest risk is buying something I don't need!

No comments:

Post a Comment