Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Awesome Things

One of the blogs I follow is entitled 1000 Awesome Things. It's fun to turn to and see what "awesome" detail the young Toronto man who authors this blog focuses on every day - in appreciation of the many joys of life!

I have had a few awesome things happen to me over the past few days... and I have the internet to thank for them! One was reconnecting with two old friends - from my Israel days - via Facebook. I had been the maid of honor at the wedding of one friend 40 years ago! Hearing how they were doing after all this time was truly awesome!

The second awesome thing happened to me the other evening while I was checking my gmail (email) account and reading an interesting online article my daughter had forwarded to me... Suddenly a chat box popped up. (It is possible for two people with gmail accounts to type messages back and forth and "chat" if they happen to be online at the same time.)

There was my son - the traveler - in Geneva... "Hi Mom, Are you there...?" So for the next half hour we "chatted" back and forth, typing questions and answers to each other... It was 5 pm in Ottawa and 11 pm in Geneva - we were 6053 kilometers / 3761 miles apart - yet the text kept popping up with hardly any time lapse between - so fast! It was truly awesome!

Bridging time and distance - connecting me with people from my past (in Israel) and my son (an ocean and a continent away) - the internet is truly awesome!

PS - And if you want to calculate distances between places anywhere in the world, here is a website that is awesome too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment