Thursday, February 11, 2010

Apricot Fruit Leather

I was wandering through the international food section of our supermarket, when I noticed something I hadn't eaten in years... apricot fruit leather (from Syria)...














Years before fruit roll-ups became popular in North American, this was sold in the Middle East. I first bought it in the Old City of Jerusalem. I think there was another kind, reddish... (plums?) I don't remember...














It comes wrapped in cellophane and is about three times as thick as fruit roll-ups. Each package is a big folded sheet, which you have to cut into serving pieces.














Most surprising of all, it only cost $2.50! I wonder how many apricots go into making a 500-gram (1-pound) bundle?














Mmmmmm... Delicious memories...

2 comments: