Tuesday, May 16, 2023

My Pottery Owls

In my last pottery hand-building class - that ended mid-March 2020, at the beginning of the pandemic - I started to make little clay owls. 

I didn't use a photo reference - just a picture in my mind of what an owl might look like. I've never really seen one close up - just in pictures.


I continued to make them when I returned to the studio last September. Time ran out before I was able to glaze them all, so some are pink - the color of the clay.

Then over the winter, I took a break.


What kind of owls do these look like? I'd sometimes wonder. There are many different kinds of owls.


Recently I came across this picture of a "screech owl". There was immediate recognition. Yes, that's it!


My clay owls are short, stocky screech owls! The color is about right, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment