Saturday, May 13, 2023

Appreciating Mobility

A week ago today, I took a tumble ... I lost my balance when I didn't see a step... while shopping. I was hurrying... (a big mistake!) I have to learn to just slow down and take my time.

One minute I was walking confidently. The next minute, I was heading for the floor.


I lay on the floor for a few minutes - feeling foolish, my knees in pain. Then I got up - on my own steam - and moved to a chair. By the time I continued on my way, a few minutes later, I had no pain - just two sore hands! 

Lesson learned: Change can come quickly! Then suddenly, everything is different! 

Fortunately only two strangers witnessed my embarrassment  - and both were very helpful. They didn't force me to get up before I felt ready. 

I don't plan to do much cooking, cleaning or (the hardest of all!!) knitting until my right thumb is no longer swollen. I think it bore the brunt of my fall. Haven't done much housework - but, after s few days off, I'm back to doing one row of mosaic crochet a day.

I'm thankful that I could get up and walk away unaided. Six months ago my osteoporosis doctor told me I was a year away from a broken hip. Glad I had none that day!

Glad I'm walking - (still aiming for 10,000 steps daily). Also using resistance machines at the gym help me feel strong, though I've taken a week off there.

Ten years ago my daughter and I attended a conference in Canterbury Cathedral in England. One of the participants, a retired physician from Washington, DC, stumbled and fell in front of us as we exited the medieval crypt. 

His wife said: Don't help him. He falls a lot. He took a course on falling correctly, so as not to injure himself. He'll get up by himself.

Sure enough, after a moment or two, he got up unaided and continued on his way.

A course in falling correctly? That's what I need, I think. I also need to learn not to slow down and focus on one thing at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment