Thursday, November 28, 2019

Calling 9-1-1

The sound of honking horns made me look up.

Through the window I saw a young man lying on the side of the road next to the sidewalk.

Had he been in an altercation? I didn’t know. But he was having a hard time getting up.

When he stood up, then fell back down, I decided to call 9-1-1.

No-one answered.

As the phone kept ringing, I watched through the window as a taxi stopped. The young man got in and a moment later got out. Another taxi appeared. He got in that one and drove away.

Seeing this, I hung up.

A moment later, my phone rang. The 9-1-1 operator was now calling me.

I told her why I had called. She wanted to know details: taxi identification numbers... which I couldn't remember.

Thinking about it later, I decided that - if I ever need to call 9-1-1 again - I’ll only let the phone ring twice before I hang up. That way I'll be able to use my phone to take notes and photos, until the 9-1-1 dispatcher calls me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment