Sunday, December 2, 2018

Three Things

To understand complex things better, it helps to boil them down into a few main points.

In this book of readings (Incandescence), I came across a comment by thirteenth-century mystic, Mechtild of Magdeburg:"three things that make a person worthy of God's path."

First, she says, forgive everyone in all things, as much as is humanly possible.

Second, welcome all things that life brings, except sin. (This attitude keeps one flexible.)

Third, do all things well - for God's sake: the simple tasks as well as the highest states of contemplation. (All are equally important.)

Over the years, I've tried to develop a more forgiving and welcoming attitude. It does lighten the load. Carrying around anger or resentment doesn't make me - or anyone else - happy.

I've also tried to accept - if not necessarily welcome - difficult things that come my way. It's easier to do if you believe that, once you're at the end of your rope, God will help...

I've never given much thought to her third point - doing things well - as I'm not, by nature, a perfectionist. 

"Whatever I do for love gives honor to God. It's all one and the same," she writes.

Motives are important... and it's humbling to realize that we never know the final impact of anything we do or say.  Through word and deed, we touch more people than we will ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment