Monday, December 24, 2018

Looking Back - 1978 Christmas in Kelowna

I'm sorting through photographs and found this one that dates back to Christmas 1978.

Terry and I were living in Toronto that winter, so we decided to fly to Kelowna to spend a few days with my parents.

Here is a picture of me with my parents. Terry must have taken it.

My mother - born in 1919 - would have been 59 years old. My dad, born in 1910, would have been 68. They both look so young! (And I do, too!)

My mother made two comments that Christmas that I still remember: Terry and I had been married a little over a year at that time. She asked if we were planning to have any children...

The second comment occurred while we were walking outdoors in the snow. Terry and my father were walking on one side of the street and my mother and I were walking on the other - parallel to them.

We had debated which sidewalk looked less slippery... and had disagreed. So we all went to the sidewalk we felt was safer.

He's so stubborn, my mother muttered - referring to Terry. Then she added: Just like your father...

We're all pretty stubborn, each going our own way..., I could have added. (But I didn't!)

I've since learned to appreciate another name for "stubbornness" -  "determination." This I view as a positive trait!

No comments:

Post a Comment