Friday, December 14, 2018

Buckets of Water

Not one - but two - days this week, residents on our street were warned that the water could be turned off anytime from 8 am to 4 pm while a pipe was being repaired.

Terry and I immediately prepared buckets and pots of water - in case we needed them... and complained a bit about the "inconvenience" - though we concluded that losing water for a few hours was easier to deal with than losing electricity!

(To make up for the inconvenience, we decided to go to a restaurant for lunch!)

(How spoiled we are!!)
The buckets of water sitting in the hall jolted my memory - taking me back to my childhood years in Hay Lakes and Kingman, Alberta, when the only water we had at home had been pumped daily outdoors, then brought into the house... My mother heated the water on the stove for bathing, laundry and, of course, cooking.

Being reminded of this daily chore of bringing in water - a normal part of life for my parents and forefathers before them - was a reality check! What was I complaining about?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment