Sunday, January 1, 2017

Setting Goals: A Few Wise Comments

A while back, I was looking through some of my books - wondering which I should keep and which I should pass on.  

Did I need my collection of business books any more?

After publishing my homonym spelling workbook (Write it right!) in 2008, I invested in a number of books on selling, among them, The 12 Cliches of Selling and Why They Work, by Barry Farber. I'm not focused so much on selling these days, but every time I pick up this book, I find some gem worth remembering.

On New Year's Day, a day when many reflect on how we would like our lives to change, here are some of Farber's comments on goal setting - in business or in life. They are well-worth remembering. (I have transcribed his exact words in point form.)
  • The ultimate goal of all our lives is to be happy and fulfilled. Goal-setting is simply a tool we can use to help us on our way. 
  • There's no need to overwhelm ourselves by setting too many goals at once. Work on one at a time; then, as soon as you are nearing one destination, you can begin planning for the next journey. 
  • And it's most important to remember that whether or not you reach your goal is less important than knowing you did your best to work toward it. 
  • Goals should be chosen with great care and concern. Be prepared to get what you go after. 
  • Whatever it is that you really want can be achieved if you write it on the page and engrave it in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment