Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Knitting My First "Baby Surprise" Jacket

Last year I discovered the wise knitting advice of Elizabeth Zimmermann, a woman of my mother's generation who is credited with popularizing knitting in North America when I was a child. A grandmotherly knitwear designer, she hosted a televised series on knitting in the early days of television. Last winter I borrowed the series on DVD from my public library. Her enthusiasm for knitting is infectious!

I ended up buying several of her knitting books on Amazon, but didn't get beyond her instructions for knitting winter hats.

Her most famous design is the "Baby Surprise" jacket, which doesn't look at all like a sweater while it is being knit.










I decided to try one recently, using some of my mother's old yarn...

I'm halfway done, I think... After casting off for quite a few rows, I'm now increasing again...








This diagram shows the end result. As I study it now, I wonder: Am I knitting it upside down? Which part of the shape will be the two sleeves?! When do I make the button holes at the bottom left and right?

I'll definitely be surprised if a shape like this turns out to be a sweater knit all in one piece!

No comments:

Post a Comment