Monday, January 23, 2017

Having an MRI

The province of Ontario is carrying on a very large longitudinal health study. Years ago, when I was still working, I volunteered to be part of it. Every few years I am invited to participate in voluntary health testing. I usually agree. I mean, why not?! If they find some issue before it becomes a big health problem, it's win-win for me.

A few months ago, I was invited to have a voluntary MRI to test for heart health, thyroid, and other problems. I've never had an MRI before, so this was a new adventure for me!

The hardest thing was having to lie still for so long - about 50 minutes.

I found counting helped distract me from thinking about moving my fingers or scratching my nose. The magnetic machine produces sounds most of the time, sometimes a series of short beeps. At other times a long blare. I'd count the number of beeps and the length of each blare. This silly technique distracted me from the boredom of having to lie still for such a long time. It relaxed me as well, helping time pass more quickly.

1 comment:

  1. You are right; it can be really hard to lie still for so long for an MRI. But too much movement can distort the image, and then the whole process would have to be repeated. I like the way you handled this. Preparing mentally for an MRI and deciding beforehand how you will pass that time can be so helpful.

    ReplyDelete