Monday, September 12, 2016

Surprise Pinterest Sweater Find

Last winter I read a number of knitting books by Elizabeth Zimmermann, a well-known knitter and designer of my mother's generation. Two things that stand out for me about her knitting are that (1) she loved to knit in garter stitch (knitting every row); and (2) she knit sweaters in the round, cutting them down the front to make a cardigan.

I wanted to try cutting a sweater down the front as well - but not one that I had toiled over. So I scoured thrift shops in search of an old hand-knit sweater to practice on, to see how the technique worked.

One of the sweaters I purchased was this white lacy one, which I decided was too lovely to touch. It has been sitting, folded up on a shelf, ever since I bought it.




Imagine my surprise when I recently saw it pictured on Pinterest!

(The free pattern was originally printed in the British magazine, Prima, so there must be quite a few around.)



No comments:

Post a Comment