Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Favorite (Simple) Garlic and Tomato Salad

One of my favorite summer salads is one I watched my roommate make when we were students in Israel.

It is made of only four ingredients - fresh tomatoes, several cloves of garlic, olive oil and salt.










First make fresh "garlic salt" by grinding salt into a clove or two of garlic until the garlic is all broken up in the bottom of the salad bowl. I used the flat bottom of a sturdy glass to crush the garlic. (I should really buy a mortar and pestle.)

I had three tomatoes. Two cloves of garlic with half a teaspoon of salt would have given a stronger garlic flavor.




Slice tomatoes into wedges and add to the crushed garlic.

Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes and stir, to coat the tomatoes. Refrigerate for at least half an hour. The salad will be juicier at this time, as tomato juice will mix with the olive oil. I like to eat this salad with slices of fresh bread which can be dunked in the salad marinate. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment