Sunday, September 11, 2016

Nourishing Words

I've started reading another book by Barbara Brown Taylor. This one is entitled "When God is Silent.

The first chapter is about "words" - and how inundated with them we are in our culture, both spoken or written. As I read this, I think of how the early Christian monastics valued silence.

I pause when I read her remark: "The problem is that nourishing words are so hard to find - words with no razor blades in them, words with no chemical additives."

What are nourishing words? I wonder... Words that inform and encourage? (Do we even know when we're speaking them?!)

And what does she mean by "chemical additives"? I wonder... Words chosen to be appealing - to make us want to buy advertised products?

For some of us, words come all too quickly!

Trying to make all of them "nourishing" would be a wonderful goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment