Friday, June 10, 2016

Rideau Canal Cruise

A few weeks ago, I took my first cruise - a 6-day trip down the Rideau Canal from Ottawa to Kingston.

The boat was moored in downtown Ottawa when I boarded it.

It didn't move that first night.









I was a tourist in my own town!













My single room was small, but adequate. It had a toilet and sink. Showers are down the hall.

In spite of being in a  new space, I slept well in my floating bedroom!








The next morning, we weren't planning on leaving until after lunch, so I took a stroll along the canal...

I ended up at a nearby pedestrian bridge that is covered with locks.

(A sign of affection, I've been told!)










After lunch we sailed south towards Carleton University, where we moored for a second night in Ottawa.











We had to pass through quite a few bridges as we sailed down the canal.












To fit under some of them, parts of the upper deck - like the plastic awning - had to be lowered  and all on the top deck were required to sit down.










It was a tight squeeze (partly dependent on the height of the water level in the canal).












Hartwell Lock, at Carleton University, was a much quieter place to spend a night.

By the time we arrived, I had a lot of admiration for this ingenious boat (the Kawartha Voyageur)  - and its resourceful crew.






No comments:

Post a Comment