Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day...

Today is Fathers Day. My thoughts turn to my father - and his love of boating.

I've been looking through old photo albums, with the ideas of creating a photo book - a narrative of my life with pictures.

Looking at this photo of my father putting me into a boat at Pigeon Lake, Alberta, I realize that he must have always loved boating.

Ten years later, in Kelowna, he bought a lighter, faster boat. Most of my memories of family fun during those teenage years revolved around picnics in the boat and water skiing.




The other person in the picture is my mother's younger brother, Ron - who would have been about 15 at the time. When I visited him and his wife in Palm Springs in March, he mentioned that he had worked with my father for a while... helping out in my dad's garage in Hay Lakes. That's how trades were learned back in those days.

I wonder if this second photo was taken that same day.

My brother, born in December, would have been six or seven months old at the time. He was a preemie - born two months premature - but he looks chubby here!

This picture would have been taken in the summer of 1950, when I was four years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment