Sunday, May 29, 2016

Work Ethic

Terry sometimes complains about what he calls my German "work ethic." (I like to keep busy, accomplish something every day. I derive satisfaction in seeing some task accomplished.) Yet I bristle every time he uses the term. Is it because it conjures up images of being a workaholic, whose only goal in life is to work, who can't enjoy life unless they are busy working?

What is a German work ethic, anyway? I wonder... Is it the same as the Protestant ethic or the Puritan work ethic which Wikipedia defines as "a concept in theology, sociology, economics and history which emphasizes that hard work, discipline and frugality are a result of a person's salvation ... in contrast to the focus upon religious attendance, confession, and ceremonial sacrament in the Catholic tradition."

I don't think that describes me...

I would, in fact, say that I have more of a "Benedictine" work ethic: Work is an important part of life - but so are prayer, reading, reflection and recreation. I do derive tremendous personal satisfaction from work I feel "called" to do - especially creative endeavors like quilting, pottery, knitting, gardening. All give me tremendous satisfaction. But work is only part of what I feel called to do.

To me, work is a way of participating (with God) in maintaining the earth as a safe, healthy habitat for all. In this sense, work is "stewardship" - taking care of what God has given.

Equally important, our work - how we spend our days - is our gift to ourselves and to others. It creates the world we live in... and forms us into who we become.


No comments:

Post a Comment