Sunday, May 22, 2016

Walking in Faith

I have never given much thought to the word "walk" - though I appreciate being able to walk painlessly again after injuring myself two summers ago. For about six months, every step hurt. I remember wondering if my walking days were over.

I am currently reading my first book by David Steindal-Rast, an author who analyses words in an interesting way, helping me see them in a new light.

In one chapter he talks about God telling Abraham to "walk in my sight and (so) be perfect."

He writes: ... we might have expected God to say "stand," or "kneel," or "fall down before Me. No, "walk" is the word. Walking demands more trust, more courage. Faith walks. Walking implies risk. And faith thrives on risk... 

...we lose our balance with every step [yet] we quickly regain it again... 

...unless we took the risk of falling, we couldn't make one single step. And this is the form of locomotion God demands from us on the path of faith: not riding, not swimming, not flying, but walking - a constant losing and finding of our balance...

Reading this makes me think of my grandfather, in his 90's, afraid to walk (after taking a fall) because he feared falling again. Doctors encouraged him to walk. He had the strength to walk, but he refused to take the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment