Thursday, June 11, 2015

Ottawa's Training Station for Firemen

One weekend a year Ottawa has a "Doors Open" weekend, when many "doors" that are normally closed to the public have an "open house."

I always look forward to this weekend and the opportunity to learn more about our community.

This year over 120 buildings offered free admission. As usual, I had a hard time choosing the few places I would have time to visit.

One facility I thought would be interesting was the fire station where firemen get their training. Surprisingly, it was a building I regularly pass. I had no idea it was a training facility!

Fire trucks were open for visitors to enter. (I could barely make it up the high step to get in! I guess that would eliminate me from being accepted as a fire fighter!)



Children were attempting to climb the roof firemen have to practice climbing - wearing 45 kilos (100 pounds) of gear.
















This is the burn house... which smelled like an old fireplace.












I was surprised to see adults and children here - no adolescents. Does the career only appeal to children?!
















Apparently more women are applying to become fire fighters nowadays. However, I'm not sure many women (or men, for that matter) could run up and down a 17-story staircase wearing heavy firemen's apparel, lugging a fire hose or other equipment.

(This is apparently one of the skills firemen need.)

In a city the size of Ottawa (approximately a million), it's interesting to see at close range some of the services needed to keep the us all safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment