Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Tree Falls

It had been windy for a day or so...

Driving down a neighboring street early one morning recently, I was surprised to see the road blocked... by a large tree.

Hmm. They usually put markers around to stop traffic when a tree this large is cut down.

Was it cut down? Or did it fall?

I got out of the car to see.



A neighbor was looking at it, too. She said she'd heard a loud crack - then noticed the tree on the road!


When I passed by again an hour and a half later, city crews were already clearing it away.








 
I wonder how often this happens every summer in our neighborhood - so full of large trees...

Luckily nobody was under it when it fell.







 
A day or so later, I walked by again - and I saw that they had removed the branches from the trunk that had grown next to it. (Had they sprouted from the same tree or had two trees grown closely together?)









The trunk was hollow inside and all the branches lying on the ground were rotten in the center. No wonder the tree fell!

No comments:

Post a Comment