Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hanging in There...

I have been struggling with high blood sugar for about 10 years now. The problem hasn't gone away, but I have managed to hold it at bay: I haven't started to take medication... yet. Occasionally my daily early morning glucose readings rise too high... Why? Sometimes my body is fighting an infection (unbeknownst to me...). A few days or weeks late on I discover the cause. Often I simply have to get back to the basics: Eat fewer carbs, walk more - preferably a least 45 minutes a day... And the situation rights itself. Every three months I have a blood test to monitor my situation.

One day recently, when my early morning glucose reading was much higher than it should be, I was very discouraged... I've been trying so hard for so long... It does get tiring... Was it the French fries I ate with the fish I had for supper last night? Is it a dental problem? Who knows?!!

Then I happened to read an early morning reflection on "enduring": The trouble is that we are all inclined to quit a thing too quickly, Joan Chittister writes. We quit when people tell us we will never make it. We quit when we get tired. We quit when we don't improve. These criteria slow a lot of human progress...

But, she cautions: Endurance is not a virtue when it tolerates evil... Never endure what is not in itself essentially good, or designed to make everybody's world a better place, or, in the end, really good for your own development...

So I'll resolve again to walk more - starting today - and to be less complacent about what I eat... Good health, that enables me to enjoy my life - and the people in it - is worth the extra effort of hanging in!

No comments:

Post a Comment