Sunday, November 9, 2014

Walking a Labyrinth

Walking a labryinth is "a sacred walk" - according to some - so I approached my labyrinth walk at the SSJD convent in Toronto, not sure what to expect.

I didn't notice - until I was well into the labyrinth - that there is a threshold stone. Was I supposed to pause at the threshold? I don't know if I did...











There is a lot more walking involved than I originally expected - the labyrinth path moves back and forth, and sometimes around. I must admit, when I was half way through my journey to the center, I became a little impatient to finish. The wind was cold. But I did finish - walking in - then followed the reverse path out.

(The wind did make me pick up my pace!)




These are some of my thoughts as I walked:

1. Is this what life is like... you seem to be getting close to the "prize" [or goal] - only to be taken from it?

2. There are a lot of outer walks circling the labyrinth - giving the "big picture" view.


3. Walking requires attentiveness - you're often looking down.

4. It takes a lot of patience - it's longer than it looks.

5. The path is narrow: You have to walk alone.

6. It's fun! Like a game... You can leave at any time [unlike a maze where you are trapped].

7. Determination keeps you at it.

8. In all these ways, it's a lot like the "walk" of faith.

This labyrinth is supposed to be a "prayer labyrinth"... whatever that means. I'll have to look into it and try it again - on a warmer day!


No comments:

Post a Comment