Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Physio

Sometime this past summer - in an effort to get more fit - I injured my left knee. Shortly after starting a new exercise program, a pain suddenly appeared, not so much in walking but in doing stairs. After 2 months of discomfort, I was beginning to walk with a limp, favoring my right leg. (Time to see the doctor?)

To my surprise, an x-ray showed no arthritis. (Why do we always assume we must have arthritis when we get older?!) Maybe you need shoe inserts, my doctor suggested.

Would physio help?

After twisting and prodding my leg for a while, the physiotherapist concluded: I think you have torn your meniscus (cartilage in the knee). But only an ultrasound would tell for sure.

Rather than have an ultrasound, I opted to see if physio (treating it as a torn meniscus) would help.












So I'm going to physio three times a week, treating it with ice, machines and strengthening exercises.

After one week, the pain has lessened. My leg still doesn't bend normally going down stairs. (Going up is now fine.)








What have I learned from all this? 

1.You don't appreciate something as simple as walking, bending and kneeling (to get things out of a low cupboard) until you can't!

2. Forget being super fit! Just being able to move comfortably and actively is all that matters!

3. Don't trust your mind! (It thinks you're still young!) It thinks your body can still do everything it used to do - even when it no longer can!


4. Be thankful for physio!


No comments:

Post a Comment