Sunday, November 30, 2014

A "Nosegay" of Thoughts

One of the books I came across at the SSJD convent when I was there a few weeks ago was this one called "Strength for the Journey: A Guide to Spiritual Practice."

(I confess I'm always drawn to books that refer to life as a journey. I ended up perusing and purchasing it!)

One of the ideas I've gleaned from the book so far is this prayer suggestion of St. Francis de Sales: After praying in the morning, intentionally take away a few simple thoughts that come out of the prayer. He compares this to picking a nosegay of flowers. When problems or stress arise during the day, turn to these thoughts (as one would smell the fragrance of a nosegay of flowers).

I guess one would write the thoughts down...

I haven't tried this yet - intentionally summarizing or pulling out ideas that emerge when praying...  But I'd like to give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment