Saturday, November 8, 2014

Back to Toronto - to Hear Phyllis Tickle

Last Saturday found me back in Toronto - back at the guest house of the Sisters of St. John the Divine, an Anglican order of nuns.

I was there to hear Phyllis Tickle, a writer, editor, teacher... and dynamic speaker, who entertained us with her humor while teaching us church history. (I'm looking forward to reading her book, Emergence Christianity, about where the church seems to be moving.)






 

It was a thoroughly enjoyable time! (Here she is, signing some books.)











While at the SSJD convent, I walked their labyrinth for the first time. (It was covered with snow my previous weekends there.)

I don't remember ever walking a labyrinth before. I've read that labyrinths are not really Christian - their history dates back to ancient religions. I also remember reading that a labyrinth is shaped like a human brain.

I'm not sure what the purpose of walking a labyrinth is. But after walking in - and out - I went indoors and wrote down my thoughts while walking.

Tomorrow I'll share what I wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment