Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pottery...What Now...?!

My current pottery class - and studio time - end in two weeks.

As I survey my latest creations fresh out of the kiln, I realize I'm not a quick learner! I have made progress - (fewer wonky pots) - but I still haven't mastered making a mug with a handle. The elusive mug! It seems so basic. I've made a few round cylinders, but they're neither tall enough - nor light enough - to use as mugs. 

Should I take a break or continue with pottery again next session? 

(I had originally planned to take a painting class in January.)

But there is still so much to learn! I have begun to think about color and design. I just discovered the use of colored liquid clay ("slip") to add designs before the first firing... (as seen in the bowl in the front on the right).

I've made a few faces - like this one, meant to be hung on a wall. (It should be hung outdoors, with a light behind to shine through the eyes! my daughter tells me.)

Pottery ("playing with mud") is so much fun! And it's not something I can do at home... (Too much mess.)

That settles it: I have to sign up for pottery in January again!


No comments:

Post a Comment