Thursday, April 11, 2013

If At First You Don't Succeed...

Sorting through my bins of quilting fabric scraps, I often come across pieces from projects begun - and then abandoned!


















Like these blocks I cut out years ago for a "Garden Brick Wall" quilt. I'm not sure why I quit. Maybe my inspiration simply dried up - or I ran out of time. But now I'm trying to salvage what I have by using it in some new project, inspired by my new scrap quilting book!


















Similarly in painting, things don't always go as planned. A few days ago, trying to create a botanical drawing of these dying roses, I quickly discovered I was in over my head! Intricate, delicate, velvety rose petals are very difficult to paint. The whole thing looked awful! (And I realized how much I have to learn!) But rather than abandon my attempt completely, feeling terribly inadequate, I decided to try a different approach - and a style more natural to me.



















It's not what I started out to paint, but I hope it conveys some of the sadness I feel when flowers I love inevitably turn brown and die.

No comments:

Post a Comment