Saturday, October 1, 2011

Gardening Season

September and October are busy gardening months for me, as the weather is cooler - a perfect time for me to prepare my perennial beds for next year.














Perennials that grow well need to be divided about every three years - so I am always creating new garden beds. The plants that are large this year (like the red Autumn Joy Sedum below) will probably have to be divided next year.














This year I'm focusing on dividing day lilies and moving hostas. Last year I planted two hostas under a pine tree - where nothing else seemed to grow.














They did well, so I've just added a few more. My plan is to continue putting hostas wherever the grass isn't growing (due to shade and soil acidity), adding a few more varieties to create a contrast in colors.














I have also been digging up compost to add to the new flower beds. My hope is that once spring arrives, I'll have nothing to do but ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment