Thursday, October 27, 2011

Frozen Cookie Dough

I baked more when my children lived at home. Homemade cinnamon buns, cakes and cookies didn't last long with five people around to gobble them up!

Now I am reluctant to bake - as I know I'd eat most of it by myself. But I recently discovered a way to have fresh cookies around - fewer... for longer... by FREEZING THE DOUGH BEFORE BAKING IT.

I made a batch of whole wheat peanut butter cookies from this Canadian Living website.

(As usual I modified the recipe somewhat - substituting a small amount of soy flour, wheat germ and psyllium for some of the whole wheat flour - roughly a tablespoon of each in each cup of flour. The resulting mixture was a little dryer than usual, so I added a few tablespoons of water to make it stick together.)














I then rolled the cookie dough into balls - and froze it.














Later, when I wanted a few cookies, I simply put a few balls of dough on a pan. When they had thawed, I flattened them and baked them...

It's nice to know that fresh cookies are only about 15 minutes away... when a friend drops by... or a cookie craving comes! (My plan is to expand my repertoire by freezing oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough next.)

No comments:

Post a Comment