Monday, October 3, 2011

Creating My Own "Patchwork" Bookcase

A recent cover of Elle Decor magazine reminded me of a black bookcase in my home... and its interesting vertical/horizontal arrangement of books was reminiscent of a patchwork quilt...














Can I transform mine into one equally elegant? I set out to try!














After emptying the shelves...














... and carrying all the books outdoors to dust them... (a task that took two days!)...














I carefully reassembled them in alternating horizontal and vertical sets, trying to keep all an author's books together... close to ones with similar themes...

After several days' effort, I looked at my handiwork...














Why does mine look so cluttered?
I wondered...

I studied the bookcase in the photo, then realized that the "airy" effect in the bookcase in Elle Decor is created by the horizontal piles being only about half full!

But I have too many books to do that...!!

So mine has a more "dense" look - not as charming! (Ah well, I tried!)

No comments:

Post a Comment