Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Upside of Clutter - Adventure

I was recently browsing in one of my favorite stores, discovering household items I would love to own (but probably don't need, and definitely have no room for) - when the thought crossed my mind - I could work in this place! I love this ambiance! You never know what you'll find next!














There was a real sense of discovery about the place...














I didn't fill out a job application ...yet! But the energy and excitement I felt in the store reminded me of how pleasant a workspace should be...














It needs to be exciting and fun!














Later on, reflecting on why I liked being in this store so much more than other household goods stores, I realized that it was because it was CLUTTERED! Not messy or dirty or untidy - but full of one-of-a-kind objects. Shopping there was a real treasure hunt!














As I meandered down the aisles, I wondered what neat gadget, food item or unusual piece of furniture I would find next!














I thought of my own clutter at home ... how it holds surprises, too - when I find a book I had forgotten about, or a project I had started long ago...














I guess I thrive in clutter, because of the sense of adventure in re-discovering things I love - but had forgotten about!

So rather than get down on myself about how messy or cluttered my home is, I've decided to celebrate the sense of adventure clutter brings... When I tidy off my desk today, what treasure will I find under the mounds of papers?!!

By the way, if you were wondering what the name of this delightfully cluttered place was, it's ...

No comments:

Post a Comment