Friday, August 14, 2009

New Growth















I love African Violets but have never managed to start a new plant from a leaf. These were donations from a kind neighbor.



















A few months ago, I thought I'd try again. Taking a leaf from one plant, I tucked it into the soil of a different kind of plant - a plant that needs to be kept moist or it will droop. I needed that reminder to water the plant!














Nothing seemed to happen for a long time, though the leaf didn't die... It just lay there.

Then this week, I noticed NEW GROWTH!













The next step will be to transplant it into a pot by itself.














I'm so encouraged, I may take a leaf from one of ALL my African Violet plants, and see if I can propagate new ones in ALL COLORS!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love African Violets too! They remind me of my Grandmother who use to have many plants growing in her home. She had a green thumb when it came to her violets. Me...notsomuch. This makes me want to try growing them again.

    Nice Blog!

    ReplyDelete