Thursday, August 13, 2009

Heroes Among Us

I discovered several amazing people the other day - thanks to an online article on Alzheimers Disease and several YouTube interviews.

As often happens when one is surfing the net, one thing leads to another. It all started with an online article written by an Alzheimers caregiver - a daughter (Kathy Hatfield) who looks after her father.

In it she says, "I ... learned that his reality brought on by Alzheimer's disease was as real to him as my reality is for me. The difference was I could join him. He was never coming back to my world."

Who is this lady? I wondered, and did a google search...

Before long, I was on YouTube, listening to Regis Philbin interview her...

Then I discovered an interview with Mike Briana who cares for his wife Betty. It can be seen in two parts: Part 1 and Part 2...

All this to say that it is easy to let bad news stories dominate our thoughts, just as they dominate the news. It is easy to become pessimistic and cynical about life. But there are hundreds, if not thousands, of good news stories we rarely hear about and unsung heroes among us who make our world a better place through their daily lives and sacrifices made - not out of a sense of duty - but of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment