Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rent a Roof? A Green Idea...

I was wandering around Home Depot - looking at this and that - while Terry shopped. Eventually I found myself standing in front of several solar panels, reading brochures on various types of solar energy available - for heating pools, indoor hot water systems ... or even to simply create electricity to sell back to the electric company.

The comment that caught my eye indicated that a panel like the one before me could potentially earn a homeowner $1,300 a year, for electricity put back to the electrical grid. The south-facing side of our roof could hold at least 2 of those panels...

That's a lot of money to get back! For simply having a solar panel on my roof?! What an untapped market - and an opportunity for greener living!

I started to imagine... What if a neighborhood of homeowners all had solar panels on their roofs and sold the generated power back to the electrical grid... How much electricity would that generate? How much could they individually earn - as electrical rebates from the company?

What if the electrical company took the initiative by offering to install panels on suitable roofs in exchange for monthly refunds in electricity costs? How much would that offset the cost of electricity? How many people would offer to rent their roofs? I know we would!

Is there anyone out there interested in pursuing green ideas like these?

No comments:

Post a Comment